Muttar Paneer (Green Peas w/Paneer) – Indian Recipe
Recipe type: Curries
Muttar Paneer – easily one of the most loved Indian vegetarian curries! This recipe has a refreshing mint and cilantro flavor that is just out of this world and a great variation to the traditional tomato based dish.
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1″pc.
- Cloves – 2
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Onions – 1 large, chopped
- Garlic – 2 large cloves
- Ginger – 1″ pc.
- Green Chili – to taste
- Mint – handful
- Cilantro – ½ cup, packed
- Paneer – ½ pkt (7-8 oz), cubed
- Salt – to taste
- Black Cumin – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Frozen Green Peas – 16 oz pkt
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Heavy Cream – 3 tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Heat a medium size pan on medium heat.
- Add in the Oil and allow it to heat up.
- Cook and stir the Paneer in the Oil till it is golden in color.
- Take out the Paneer on a paper towel and keep aside.
- In the remaining Oil add in the chopped Onions and stir for a minute.
- Add in the Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies.
- Cook till the Onions are cooked and have a nice brown color.
- Take it off the flame and allow the Onions to cool down.
- Meanwhile, soak the fried Paneer in room temperature water.
- In a blender, grind the Onions, Cilantro and Mint – in that order.
- Heat the balance of the Oil (add a tsp more if need be).
- Once hot, add in Shahi Jeera (Black Cumin) and allow them to splutter.
- Add in the Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Green Cardamoms and Cloves, cook for 30 secs.
- Add in the Turmeric Powder and then the Ground Mixture.
- Cook for a minute or so and add in the Green Peas.
- Mix well and add in water (enough to cook the Peas).
- Add in the Red Chili Powder and Salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook until the Peas are tender (approx 5-7 minutes).
- Gently squeeze the water out of the Paneer and put it in with the Peas.Mix well.
- Lower heat and add in the well-beaten Yogurt/Curd and Heavy Cream.Mix well.
- Add in Garam Masala and Water (if required).
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with Chapatis or Rice. Serves 4.