Paneer Butter Masala
Recipe type: Curries
A rich indian delicacy which is a very commom item that people order at restaurants. It goes very well with hot rotis or phulkas. It is originally a punjabi dish also known as paneer makhni.
- 200 gms paneer (cottagte cheese) cubes
- 200 gms tomato puree
- 2 tsp butter
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1 tsp of coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 3-4 cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 cinnamon (dalchini) stick
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup fresh cream (optional)
- Heat the butter in a non stick pan or wok.
- Add the cumin seeds and fennel seeds, cinnamon stick and green cardamom.
- Once the cumin seeds start to crackle add ½ tsp of hing.
- Next we add the finely chopped onions and green chillies and saute of 5 to 6 minutes till the onions are light golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and mix well till the rawness of the ginger garlic paste goes away.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder and garam masala and saute for 4 to 5 minutes for the masalas to cook completely.
- Add the tomato puree and mix well for 5 to 6 minutes for the masala to get incorporated with the puree.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Add the paneer cubes and mix gently for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and water and mix well.
- Cover the pan or wok with a lid and let it cook on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Before serving add the fresh cream and give it a stir. (optional)
- Serve hot with rotis or phulkas.