Recipe type: Curries
The trick is to let the paneer and masala stick for a few seconds each time before moving it on the tava. This gives it both its name and flavour.
- 250 gms paneer (cottage cheese), cut into small pieces
- 2 tomatoes , finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- a few drops lemon juice (optional)
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- For the garnish
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped corriander (dhania)
- Heat the oil in a tava on a high flame. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds. When they become brown, add the onion and fry again for a while.
- Add the paneer and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. While cooking, add the turmeric, chilli powder and salt. If the paneer sticks to the bottom, scrape with a spatula. Repeat again every time it sticks to the bottom until the paneer gets soft.
- Scrape the paneer from the tava into a bowl and garnish with the green chilli and coriander.
- Serve hot.
- If you like, add a few drops of lemon juice.