Potato Masala (for Masala Dosa)
Recipe type: Curries
Masala Dosa has been ranked as one of the “must-try” dishes amongst so many other well-known ones. And rightly so, it is this wonderful crepe-like long cylindrical dish that makes you ooh and aah and one bite of the dosa along with this scrumptious soft potato stuffing is such a perfect balance of flavors and textures. Enjoy this Masala with your Dosa and you’ll understand why it got the ranking that it did!
- Potatoes – 1.5lbs (approx ¾ kg), boiled and peeled
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Hing / Asofoetida – ⅛th tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Haldi – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – sprig
- Minced Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Green Chillies – to taste, chopped
- Chopped Onion – ½, med.
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – 5 sprigs, chopped
- Boil, peel and cube the Potatoes. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat Oil on a medium flame.
- Once hot, add in Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add in Channa Dal and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add in Urad Dal, Asofoetida, Turmeric, Curry Leaves, Ginger and Green Chillies. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the Onions and cook till the Onions start getting translucent.
- Pour the Water and add Salt. Taste the liquid to check salt. It should be a little intense.
- Cover and allow the liquid to come to a boil.
- Once the Water reaches a rolling boil, roughly crush the Potatoes either with your hands or with a masher and mix into the Liquid.
- Add in the chopped Cilantro.
- Mix and allow the Masala to reach the desired consistency.
- Note, it will thicken a little over time. Take the pan off the flame.
- It is ready for Dosa or just with Chapatis.