Schezwan chilli potatoes recipe
Recipe type: veg recipes
schezwan chilli potatoes - indo chinese recipe of fried crisp potatoes in spicy and hot schezwan chilli sauce.
- for frying the potatoes:
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- salt and pepper as required
- oil as required for shallow frying the potatoes
- for the schezwan chilli sauce:
- 1 tsp chopped celery (skip if you do not have)
- ½ cup finely chopped onions or spring onions
- ½ inch ginger/adrak, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic/lahsun, finely chopped
- 2 tsp red chili sauce or 1 tsp red chili paste or red chili-garlic paste or 1 to 2 tsp schezwan sauce
- 2 red chilies, dry or fresh, slit (you can deseed to remove the heat)
- 1 green chili, slit
- 2 tsp naturally fermented soy sauce or as required
- 4 tbsp water or veg stock
- ½ tsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 2-3 schezwan or sichuan pepper, crushed in a mortar and pestle (skip if you do not have)
- 1 tbsp corn starch dissolved in 1 or 2 tbsp water
- salt, pepper and sugar as required
- a few chopped celery or spring onion/scallion greens for garnish
- preparing the potatoes:
- cut the potatoes in wedges. keep the potatoes in cold water for 30 mins.
- drain them and add cornflour, salt and pepper. mix well.
- heat oil for shallow frying the potatoes
- fry in a wok or kadai till the potatoes are crisp and browned. drain on paper towels.
- preparing the sauce:
- remove the extra oil from the wok. keep about 1 tbsp oil in the wok or kadai.
- add onions, green chilies, ginger and garlic and stir fry on a high heat for a minute or two.
- then add the crushed schezwan pepper and black pepper.
- stir fry for one or two minutes.
- add the soy sauce, red chili sauce, salt and sugar.
- stir and then add water or veg stock and let the sauce come to a simmer.
- mix 1 tbsp corn starch with 1 or 2 tbsp water to a smooth paste.
- add the corn starch paste and chopped celery.
- simmer for a few minutes till the the sauce begins to thicken.
- then add the fried potato wedges. toss them well in the sauce.
- garnish with spring onion greens or chopped celery and serve the schezwan chilli potatoes hot with veg fried rice, veg hakka noodles or with your choice of bread or with naan or rotis.