Sesame Stuffed Eggplant
Recipe type: Curries
Sesame seeds are roasted and ground into powder along with spices. Baby Indian Eggplants are stuffed with freshly prepared sesame seeds mixture. The eggplants are then cooked on low flame till they turn soft inside and little crisp outside. Serve sesame stuffed eggplants with steamed rice or with roti.
- Baby Eggplants 5
- Sesame Seeds 4 – 5 Tbsps
- Raw Cashews 4
- Red Chile Powder ½ tsp
- Salt to Taste
- For Talimpu:
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Wash the eggplants and remove stems if desired.
- Slit each eggplant twice in right angles keeping one end intact to avoid eggplant falling apart once coooked.
- Roast sesame seeds in a heavy bottomed pan till they turn light golden brown.
- Grind sesame seeds with cashews, red chile powder and salt.
- Stuff each eggplant with a tbsp or so of the ground sesame powder.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add all other talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, carefully place the stuffed eggplants in the pan.
- Fry briefly, stir in around ⅛ cup of water.
- Cook covered on low flame for good 10 -1 5 minutes or until eggplants are soft inside.
- Stir in any remaining sesame seeds powder.
- Fry to remove any excess moisture and to crisp up the eggplant skins.
- Remove from heat and serve sesame stuffed eggplants with steamed rice and dal or with roti.
Make sure eggplants are cooked well before removing from heat. Suggestions: Time it takes for the eggplant to cook depends on the size of the eggplant. Cook longer for bigger ones.