Shengdane ani Vatane chi Bhaji
Recipe type: Curries
Shengdane i.e. peanuts are used in many Maharashtrian dishes. Here we use peanuts and green peas as the main ingredients to make this dish with an authentic flavour.
- 1½ cups unsalted peanuts, crushed
- 1 cup boiled green peas
- To be ground to a paste
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 3 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 25 mm. (1") stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 4 green chillies
- ½ cup water
- Other ingredients
- 2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies, broken
- a pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- salt to taste
- For garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat the ghee, add the cumin seeds and cook till the seeds crackle.
- Add the dry red chillies and crushed peanuts and cook for some time.
- Add the coconut paste, 1 cup of water, sugar and salt and cook on low flame till the peanuts are cooked.
- Add the green peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.