Spicy Tomato Chutney
Recipe type: Pickles
Fresh spices are finely ground and fried in oil till aromatic. Tomato is finely chopped and added to the oil along with spices which is then cooked till it turns into the consistency of chutney. Serve spicy tomato chutney with steamed rice or with snacks etc..
- Tomato 2 Large
- Green Chiles 1
- Coriander Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ⅛ tsp
- Garlic 1 Small Clove
- Turmeric Powder a Pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tsp
- Wash and finely chop tomato.
- Remove stem, wash and roughly chop green chile.
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds into fine powder using a spice blender.
- Add green chiles and garlic and grind again.
- Heat oil in a pan on low flame, add ground spices and fry for a minute.
- When spices are aromatic and thoroughly fried, stir in chopped tomato, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook covered till tomato is very soft.
- Uncover and cook till tomato chutney reaches the desired consistency.
- Remove the spicy tomato chutney onto a plate and serve with rice or with roti.
- Notes: Make sure not to burn the ground spices.
If tomato is not cooked properly, put it back on heat and cook covered till very soft and mushy. Variations: You can also temper the spicy tomato chutney with mustard seeds.