Spinach Curry with Channas
Recipe type: Curries
We all know how good Spinach is for us and we keep looking for recipes and innovative ways to include as much as we can in our diets. This recipe is absolutely wonderful because can be served as a main dish or a side-dish, had with Chapatis or with Rice and your proteins and greens all in one.
- This dish is made in multi-steps. Very easy when you follow the steps:
- Prep and Cook the Channas/Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans:
- Dry Channas – 2 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Salt – ½ tbsp
- 1. Wash and soak Channas in water overnight or atleast 8 hours.
- 2. Transfer them to a pressure cooker and add 6 cups of fresh Water and Salt.
- 3. Allow it to pressure cook and whistle once, lower heat and cook for 45 min.
- 4. Allow the pressure to release by itself and set the cooked Channas aside.
- While the Channas are cooking, to Cook the Spinach:
- Spinach – 1 lb
- Water – 1 cup
- 1. Wash Spinach and put in a pan with Water.
- 2. Allow it to cook.
- 3. Once wilted, cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- 4. Remove from flame and set aside.
- Also start working on the Masala. For the Masala:
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 3-5
- Cinnamon – 1″ pc
- Black Peppercorn – ¼ tsp
- Cardamom Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fennel Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tbsp
- Onions – 1 med., sliced
- Ginger – 1″ pc. sliced
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, sliced
- Green Chillies – to taste, sliced
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Tomatoes – 2 med., sliced
- In a pan, heat Oil on medium heat.
- Add in the whole masalas – Cloves, Cinnamon, Black Peppercorn, Cardamom Seeds, Fennel Seeds and Coriander Seeds.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the Onions, Ginger, Garlic and the Green Chillies.
- Sprinkle Salt to allow the Onions to cook faster and caramelize.
- Add in the Tomatoes and cook them down.
- Remove from flame and transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- Combining the Masala, Spinach and the Channas:
- Water – ¼ cup. if needed
- Amchur (Dry Mango Powder) – ¼ tsp or to taste
- Once cooled, grind the Masala to a fine paste.
- Add in the cooled and cooked Spinach and blend to desired texture.
- In the pan used to cook Masala and pour in the Spinach and Masala Mixture.
- Swirl the blender with additional water if needed.
- Add in the cooked Channas and add additional Water or liquid from the cooked Channas to the dish to form a gravy.
- Check Salt and spices and cover and cook for about 10 min. Stir in between once.
- Open and sprinkle some Amchur (optional), mix and serve.
- Serve hot with Chapatis, Naan or Rice.