Stuffed capsicum recipe or Bharwan shimla mirch recipe
Recipe type: veg recipes
stuffed capsicum - green bell peppers stuffed with spiced potatoes.
- 4 to 5 medium to large shimla mirch/capsicum/green bell peppers
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes or about 180 to 200 gms potatoes
- ⅓ to ½ cup steamed or cooked peas (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin/jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder or as required (substitute with ¼ tsp lemon juice if dry mango powder is not available. you can also increase the quantity of lemon juice as per your taste)
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- 1 tbsp oil for sauteing the onions
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp oil for sauteing the capsicum
- salt as required
- prepping and stuffing:
- first, boil the potatoes till they completely tender and cooked thoroughly. peel and grate the potatoes. keep aside.
- slice off the tops of the capsicum. remove the seeds. rinse them in water and pat dry with a kitchen towel. keep aside.
- in a small frying pan, heat oil. fry the cumin first and then add chopped onions.
- saute the onions till translucent. add chopped green chilies.
- stir and then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida. stir again.
- add the potatoes and mix everything.
- saute the potatoes for 2 mins and then add garam masala powder, dry mango powder and salt.
- stir well and then add chopped coriander leaves. mix again and let this spiced potato stuffing become warm or cool down.
- with a spoon or with your hands, stuff the potato mixture in the capsicum.
- if baking, then brush or rub oil outside the bell peppers, before you stuff them with the spiced mashed potatoes.
- now you can bake the stuffed bell peppers in an oven or saute in a pan.
- for cooking in a pan:
- heat oil in a pan or kadai/wok and place the stuffed capsicum in the pan.
- cover the pan and allow the stuffed capsicum to cook on a low flame.
- you will have to check often after every 5 to 6 mins and keep on changing the sides of the capsicum, so that all sides are cooked well. check, turn the sides and cover the pan again.
- you also have to place the open potato side touching the pan. the capsicum will get golden and wrinkled.
- continue to check, change the sides and then cover again till the bell peppers are cooked well. it took me about 25 mins to cook these on a low flame.
- for baking in the oven:
- preheat your oven to 200 degrees C.
- place the stuffed capsicum on a baking tray and bake at 200 degrees C for 20 to 30 mins (oven temperatures vary, so keep an eye) till the capsicum has become golden and wrinkled. you can also top some grated cheese on the potatoes and then bake.
- garnish with coriander or mint leaves and serve these potato stuffed bell peppers hot or warm with rotis, bread or as a side dish.