tandoori gobi or gobi tikka
Recipe type: Curries
tandoori gobi – marinated and grilled cauliflower to perfection
- main ingredients:
- 1 medium size cauliflower head or gobi
- for the marination:
- 21/4 to 21/2 cups cashew yogurt or milk yogurt
- ½ tbsp ginger – garlic paste (approx 1 inch ginger & 2-3 garlic crushed or ground in a mortar-pestle)
- ½ or 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ or 1 tsp garam masala powder or tandoori masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp ajwain/carom seeds
- 1 tsp kasoori methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp besan/gram flour, roasted
- 1 or 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- black salt or rock salt as required
- hung the curd in a cheese cloth and let the whey get drained.
- alternatively you could also use a fine mesh sieve to drain the curd
- let this whole process take about 45 minutes to 1 hour. you don’t want too thick a curd. so 45 mins is fine.
- meanwhile, rinse and chop the cauliflower/gobi florets into medium or large size.
- try to keep them in one size as its helps in uniform grilling or baking.
- boil water with salt.
- add the florets and simmer them for 3-4 minutes.
- switch off the fire and let the florets be in the hot water for 7-8 minutes
- drain the florets and keep aside.
- mix all the ingredients listed under marination.
- check the seasoning and add more if required.
- add the florets and mix well.
- marinate for an hour or two. keep in the fridge if you want to marinate for a longer period of time.
- preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- on a grill rack, place the cauliflower florets.
- you can also brush them with oil if required.
- grill or bake the cauliflower/gobi for 25-30 minutes or till they get cooked and the edges start to become browned.
- once grilled, remove from the tray and arrange on serving platter or plate.
- garnish tandoori gobi with coriander leaves and sprinkle some chaat masala.
- serve with mint-coriander-yogurt chutney along with sliced onion and lemon wedges.
- you can also sprinkle some lemon juice on the tandoori gobi if you want.
- enjoy tandoori gobi with bread, buns or rotis or naan.