Tawa paneer masala recipe
Recipe type: Curries
tawa paneer masala recipe - a semi dry curry with capsicum/bell pepper, onions, tomatoes and paneer cubes cooked on tawa or a griddle. a popular restaurant side dish.
- 200 to 250 gms paneer/cottage cheese
- 1 large onion, about 100 to 120 gms
- 1 medium capsicum/green bell pepper, about 80 to 100 gms
- 3 medium tomatoes, 180 to 200 gms
- 4 to 5 medium garlic/lahsun
- 1 inch ginger/adrak
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- ½ tsp carom seeds/ajwain/omam
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala or ½ tsp garam masala + ¼ tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta for garnish
- finely chop the onions and capsicum/green bell pepper.
- roughly chop the tomatoes, green chili, ginger and garlic.
- crush the ginger and garlic in a mortar-pestle to a paste.
- add the chopped tomatoes in a blender and make a smooth puree. keep aside.
- chop the paneer in ½ inch cubes.
- melt butter on a tawa or skillet.
- add the carom seeds/ajwain and fry them for a few seconds or till aromatic.
- add the onions and saute till translucent.
- add the ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, finely chopped capsicum/green bell pepper and saute for about 3 minutes.
- then add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and pav bhaji masala. if you don't have pav bhaji masala, add garam masala + amchur powder/dry mango powder.
- stir and saute for about a minute.
- then add the tomato puree and salt.
- stir well and saute till you see butter releasing from the sides and the masala has thickened a bit. this takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
- if the tomato masala looks dry, then add 1 or 2 tbsp of water and continue to saute.
- add the paneer cubes and stir well, so that the masala coats the paneer cubes evenly.
- cook the paneer for 1 to 2 minutes. then add the crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves. stir very well and switch off the flame.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve tawa paneer masala with chapatis, phulkas, naan or bread. accompany with a few wedges of lemon slices which can be drizzled on the tawa paneer and a side onion salad.