Valval ( Microwave Recipe)
Recipe type: Curries
Mangalore’s cuisine warms and pampers you! a rare combination of vegetables cooked along with coconut milk imparts a wonderful aroma to this preparation, which is retained equally well by microwave cooking.
- ½ large fresh coconut
- 1½ tbsp plain flour (maida)
- ½ tsp ghee
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 to 3 green chillies , slit green chillies
- 2 to 3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced ridge gourd (turai)
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup french beans , cut diagonally
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrot
- ½ tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- Scrape the coconut. Add 1 cup of water and blend in a liquidiser. Strain and take out all the milk in a bowl.
- Add the plain flour and mix well. Keep aside.
- Put the ghee in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 10 seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds and microwave on high for 5 seconds.
- Add the green chillies and curry leaves, mix well and microwave on high for 10 seconds.
- Add all the vegetables, ⅓ cup of water, sugar and salt, mix well and microwave on high for 7 minutes, stirring once in between after 3½ minutes.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the coconut milk-flour mixture, mix well and microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring once in between after 1½ minutes.
- Serve immediately.