Vegetable Jalfrezi – Indian Stirfry
Recipe type: Curries
Vegetable Jalfrezi is said to have originated in India during the British Raj. Once a creative way to use up leftovers, the Vegetable Jalfrezi recipe has since evolved into a flavorful and texture rich dish…a popular Indian restaurant menu item. Try this recipe with a mixture of veggies or highlight just one or two. Either way, Vegetable Jalfrezi will add a colorful splash to your plate.
- Medium pot of water
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Cauliflower – 3 cups, cut into bite size florets
- Carrots – ½ cup, chopped
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Onion – ½ medium, chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
- Garlic – 2 tsp, minced
- Tomato Sauce – ½ cup (4 oz)
- Bell Pepper – ½, chopped into bite size pieces
- Frozen Green Peas – ½ cup, thawed
- Salt – to taste
- Whole Coriander Seeds – 2 Tbsp, dry roasted and powdered
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – optional and to taste
- Tomato – 1 small, deseeded and chopped
- Lemon/Lime Juice – to taste
- Bring pot of water to a boil and add Salt and Turmeric Powder.
- Add Cauliflower and Carrots and boil for 3 minutes.
- Strain the Cauliflower and Carrots and drop them into a bowl of ice and water to stop the cooking.
- Drain and keep aside after 1-2 minutes.
- In a non-stick skillet or pan, heat 1 Tbsp Oil.
- Add Onions and cook 2-3 minutes until light golden.
- Add Ginger and Garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add Tomato Sauce and cook until the oil separates.
- Add Bell Pepper and Green Peas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Cauliflower and Carrots, Salt, Powdered Coriander, Garam Masala and optional Red Chili Powder. Mix well and cook until veggies are tender but not mushy.
- Sprinkle a little water over the veggies occasionally to provide moisture so that the dry spices do not burn.
- Add Tomato and mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle Lemon/Lime Juice and mix.
- Serve hot with roti, chapati or naan.