Rotlis ( Gujarati Recipe)
Recipe type: Breakfast
Paper-thin phulkas served hot off the tava, smeared with ghee, these rotlis feel special, even if you have them everyday! rotlis are generally made just before the meal is to be served, but if you make them in advance, then wrap them in a cloth so that they remain hot and soft.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- ghee for smearing
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft and smooth dough using enough water. Keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 125 mm. (5") diameter thin circle.
- Heat a tava (griddle), place the rotli on it and turn it over after a few seconds.
- Cook on the other side till air pockets appear on the surface and then turn it over onto an open flame for a few seconds till it puffs up.
- Repeat the same procedure to make 14 more rotlis.
- Smear a little ghee on top of each rotli and serve immediately.