Aloo Tikki – Indian Appetizer Recipe
Recipe type: Appetiser
Aloo Tikki is an Indian appetizer that can be served in many different ways. Top it with a little mint and tamarind chutney, onions, cilantro and sev and it’s delicious chaat. Make the tikki a little bigger and use it as a patty for a satisfying veggie burger. Make them tiny and serve as appetizers for a cocktail pary. Aloo Tikki – very versatile, very yummy!
- Potatoes – 2 large, boiled & peeled
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves – 1 Tbsp (aka Kasoori Methi)
- Roasted Peanuts – 2 Tbsp, roughly crushed
- Onion – ¼ medium, finely chopped
- Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
- Dried Mango Powder – ¼ tsp (aka Amchur)
- Cilantro – 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Bread Crumbs – as needed for coating tikkis
- Oil – for pan frying
- Using a grater, grate boiled potatoes (big shred). Potatoes can also be mashed using potato masher.
- Add Onions, Peanuts, Cilantro, Green Chilies and Dried Fenugreek Leaves. Mix gently.
- Add Salt, Chaat Masala, Roasted Cumin Powder and Dried Mango Powder. Mix well.
- Apply a little Oil to your hands and take a portion of the potato mixture into your hands. Roll it into a ball and flatten it out gently. Tikki can be rolled small for appetizers or larger for veggie burgers.
- Roll out all of the tikkis.
- Pour out some bread crumbs on a flat plate and dip and roll the tikkis to coat completely.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat and shallow fry the tikkis until they are crispy and brown. Both sides should be browned.
- Serve hot with mint or coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.