Recipe type: Curries
Good old ‘chicken curry’…..goes well with rice or bread. My family loves it because it tastes so good and I love it because it is so easy to make!!
- Chicken – 2 lbs, thighs and legs (cleaned, skinned and halved)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Onions – 2 medium, sliced
- Tomatoes – 3 medium, chopped
- Cinnamon – 1” stick
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Peppercorns – 4, whole
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Garlic – ½ tbsp, finely chopped
- Ginger – ½ tsp, grated
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Yogurt – ½ cup, well beaten
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Cilantro- 5 sprigs, finely chopped for garnishing
- Green Chili – 1, finely chopped for garnishing
- In a medium non-stick wok, heat Oil on medium to high flame.
- Add Cumin seeds and allow them to splutter
- Then we add Whole Spices i.e. Cinnamon, Cardamom, Peppercorn and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add in Onions and allow them to cook and become translucent and then, Ginger and Garlic is next – mix.
- Once the onions are golden brown, add in the tomatoes and mix well.
- Now add your powdered spices - Garam Masala, Red Chili Powder and Salt. Reduce flame to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cleaned Chicken, mix well cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add yogurt and mix it gently into the chicken.
- Reduce heat a little, cover the wok with tight lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Check on the Chicken and stir once in-between to make sure it is not burning at the bottom.
- Remove Chicken from heat and add Lemon Juice. Give it a final mix and serve with Cilantro and Green Chili as garnishing.
- Serves 4-6.