Bhindi with Fenugreek Leaves - Bendakaya Menthikura
Recipe type: Curries
Lady’s finger is chopped and cooked in tempered oil along with fenugreek leaves. Tamarind extract and green chiles is coarsely ground and added to the fried lady’s finger. Serve bhindi with fenugreek leaves over plain steamed rice.
- Lady’s Finger 2 Cups
- Fenugreek Leaves ½ Cup Packed
- Tamarind 2 inch Piece
- Green Chiles 1 – 2
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Urad Dal ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
- Wash and pat dry bhindi / lady’s finger.
- Remove ends and chop bhindi into big pieces.
- Remove stems, separate fenugreek leaves and wash them under fresh water.
- Remove stems, wash and roughly chop green chiles.
- Soak tamarind in few tablespoons of hot water for couple of minutes and extract all the thick juice.
- Grind tamarind extract, green chiles and salt into coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add chopped bhindi.
- Fry the lady’s finger till it turns little soft.
- Stir in fenugreek leaves and fry till bhindi turns golden brown around the edges.
- Stir in the ground tamarind green chiles paste and salt.
- Lightly mash the mixture while coating all the lady’s finger.
- Remove from heat and serve bhindi with fenugreek leaves over plain steamed rice.
Make sure lady’s finger is cooked well before removing from heat. Suggestions: If bhindi is not cooked properly, cook covered for few minutes until done. Adjust tamarind and green chiles according to your preference.