Indian Broad Beans Tomato Curry - Chikkudukaya Tomato
Recipe type: Curries
These Indian Broad Beans are fiber rich and filled with loads of protein. This Broad Beans Tomato Curry( Chikkudakaya Tomato Curry ) is so easy and the cooking time is just one whistle away!( 5 mins ).
- ½ kg chikkudukaya/sem/broadbeans, destring, tear each into two pieces, par-boil in salted water and strain
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 slit green chilli
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- pinch of haldi, turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli pwd (adjust)
- 1 tbsp grated jaggery (adjust according to your choice)
- pinch of garam masala pwd (optional)
- 1½ tbsps grated coconut (optional)
- salt to taste
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- For tempering/tadka/poppu:
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chillis
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves (optional)
- few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel, once hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop, add the garlic, cumin, red chillis and curry leaves, stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the slit green chilli and onions and saute till soft. Add turmeric and tomatoes and saute further for a mt. Add chilli pwd, mix, cover and cook on medium heat for 5-6 mts.
- Now add the par-boiled beans, jaggery and salt and cook for another 2-3 mts. Add a small cup of water and let it cook covered on medium heat for another 5-6 mts or till the beans are cooked and soft.
- Adjust salt, add garam masala pwd, mix and turn off heat. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with rice or chapatis.