Apple and cinnamon golden syrup scrolls
Recipe type: Breakfast
Take in the sweet aroma of these apple and cinnamon delicacies as they're baking, then roll them up for a snack on the go!
- 1½ cups (375ml) warm milk
- 3 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 4 cups (600g) plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 80g butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (70g) brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (30g) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) golden syrup
- Combine milk, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl; make a well in the centre. Pour milk mixture and egg into the well; stir until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 40 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush a 22cm round cake pan with butter; line base with baking paper. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Use a rolling pin to roll to a 30 x 40cm rectangle. Brush with ⅓ of melted butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Sprinkle ⅓ of sugar mixture over dough. Fold a short side of dough over two-thirds of filling. Fold remaining ⅓ over the top to enclose filling. Roll dough out to a 30 x 40cm rectangle; repeat filling and folding process twice.
- Roll dough to a 30 x 40cm rectangle. Sprinkle with apple and walnuts; drizzle with half the golden syrup. Roll up dough from a long side to enclose filling. Cut log crossways into 8 portions. Arrange, cut-side up, in pan. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes to rise.
- Drizzle over remaining golden syrup. Bake in oven for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Set aside for 30 minutes then turn onto a wire rack.