Moong Dal and Spinach Idli
Recipe type: Breakfast
Eliminating rice reduces the calorie count of these spinach idlis, making them suitable for diabetics as well. The same moong dal batter can also be used to make healthy pankis and pancakes.
- ½ cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram) , soaked for 3 hours and drained
- ¾ cup blanched and roughly chopped spinach
- 3 green chillies , roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh low-fat curds
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp fruit salt
- ¼ tsp oil for greasing
- For Serving
- healthy coconut chutney
- Combine the yellow moong dal , spinach and green chillies and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add the curds and salt and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the batter and pour 2 tsp water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Grease the idli moulds using oil, put spoonfuls of the batter into idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Cool slightly, demould and serve immediately with sambhar and healthy coconut chutney.