Banana and coconut bread
Recipe type: Breakfast
Add coconut into the mix and for a delicious twist on classic banana bread.
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (45g) desiccated coconut
- ½ cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut cream
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 20g butter
- 2 ripe bananas, extra, peeled, thickly sliced
- Butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 10 x 20cm loaf pan. Combine the flour, coconut and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Combine the egg, oil, coconut cream and banana in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to gently stir until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the sliced banana and cook, turning occasionally, for 1-2 minutes each side or until caramelised.
- Preheat grill on high. Use a serrated knife to cut the banana and coconut bread into thick slices. Toast banana bread under preheated grill. Serve toasted banana bread with extra butter and caramelised banana.
Overripe, unpeeled bananas can be stored in the freezer in plastic bags for later use in this recipe. Simply defrost in the microwave and mash.