buckwheat khichdi recipe or kuttu ki khichdi recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
buckwheat khichdi – easy to prepare khichdi with buckwheat groats (sabut kuttu), potatoes and peanuts for navratri fasting. wholesome super food.
- 1 cup buckwheat or buckwheat groats/kuttu
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped in small cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tsp organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar
- 2 tbsp raw peanuts
- 1 tbsp ghee or 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- lemon juice or as required (optional)
- rock salt as required
- roast peanuts in a frying pan or tava till they become crunchy and golden. let them cool.
- remove and make a coarse powder of them in a mortar-pestle or in a coffee grinder. keep the powdered peanuts aside.
- pick and then rinse the buckwheat a few times in water and keep aside.
- heat ghee or oil in a pan or pot. add the cumin and saute till they crackle.
- then add the green chili and ginger and saute for a few seconds.
- add the potato cubes and saute for 2 to 3 minutes till the potatoes become crisp from the edges. stir often. its better to chop the potatoes in smaller cubes, so that they cook faster.
- add the ground peanuts and saute for half a minute. later add the rinsed buckwheat. stir well and saute for 1 to 2 mins.
- add the water, sugar, salt.
- stir and cover the pan and allow the buckwheat to simmer on a low flame.
- cook till all the water is absorbed and the buckwheat has cooked well.
- add coriander leaves and give a final stir.
- serve buckwheat khichdi hot or warm drizzled with lemon juice.