chana dal paratha recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
chana dal paratha – whole wheat flat breads stuffed with a spiced chana dal or bengal gram mixture.
- for the dough:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 1 cup water or more if required
- 1 to 2 tsp ghee or oil (optional)
- salt as required (optional)
- for the stuffing:
- 1 cup chana dal/bengal gram (soaked overnight)
- 2 cups water
- 1 small to medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- 1-2 green chillies/hari mirch, chopped
- ½ tsp ajwain/carom seeds or a generous pinch of asafoetida
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp amchur/dry mango powder or as required
- 1 to 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- other ingredients:
- ghee or oil for frying the parathas, as required
- preparing the dough:
- in a mixing bowl first mix the flour with salt. add the ghee and half cup water.
- first mix everything with your hands and then begin to knead the dough.
- add the remaining ½ cup of water and continue to knead. the dough should become soft and pliable.
- if the dough becomes sticky then add some flour and if it looks dry and crumbly add some water. cover the dough and let it rest for 30 mins.
- preparing the chana dal stuffing:
- soak the chana dal/bengal gram overnight or for 3-4 hours (check notes)
- add the soaked chana dal in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water.
- pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistle (check notes)
- the chana dal should be cooked well and yet remain separate. they should not become mushy or pasty.
- drain the dal in a strainer. keep the dal in the strainer for 15-20 minutes so that all water gets drained off. there should be no water in the dal.
- if there is any moisture in the dal you won’t be able to make the parathas.
- you can also very lightly squeeze the dal in your palms without mashing them if you don’t have a strainer.
- mix the drained chana dal with finely chopped onions, dry mango powder/amchur, garam masala powder, green chilies, asafoetida and salt
- pinch a medium sized ball from the dough. first roll it well between your palms.
- then on a dusted flour, roll it out to a small circle with a rolling pin.
- now add the spiced chana dal mixture/filling in the center of the rolled out dough.
- bring the edges together and join them in the center.
- now by applying pressure with your fingers press the edges down and make a neat stuffed ball. make sure there are no tears or cracks.
- in a lightly dusted rolling board or surface, roll the stuffed dough ball with a rolling pin gently. make sure that the chana dal parathas do not break. although some chana dal pieces might come out.
- dust with more flour if required. roll it into a size of a normal roti or chapati.
- put the rolled chana dal paratha on a tava or hot griddle.
- fry the chana dal paratha with oil or ghee. be liberal in using oil or ghee while frying the paratha as this make more crisp. make sure that the edges are also fried well. you can also press the paratha edges with spatula.
- this way, fry both the sides of the paratha till you see some brown spots and it is fried well.
- serve the chana dal paratha hot with curd/yogurt or white butter or pickle.