Flaky Lachha Paratha
Recipe type: Breakfast
Flaky and crispy lachha paratha, explained step by step. Perfect weekend breakfast, punjabi style
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 4 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain flour (maida)
- ½ cup curds (dahi)
- warm water to knead
- oil for cooking
- Mix everything together and knead the dough with warm water.
- Keep aside, covered for about 20 minutes at least.
- Again, resting of dough is important since it helps in increasing the pliability.
- Now, take the dough almost double the size of what’s required for a chapathi and roll it as big as you can without tearing it apart.
- This should not be very thin though else it will tear off in the next step.
- Spread some oil and sprinkle the flour over the circle.
- Take a knife and very gently cut the circle lengthwise into 10-12 strips.
- Start rolling these strips in concentric circles one around another
- Once all the strips are rolled over, flatten the ball with your palms and sprinkle some more flour.
- Start rolling gently so that the strips don't fall out.
- Once its flattened out, flip it on the hot griddle and apply some oil on top.
- Flip side and apply oil on the other side.
- Cook on medium-low flame till both sides get cooked properly.
- Once cooked, take it off the griddle and tap gently between palms.
- This will bring out the flakes and layers out and you will get that crisp texture out.
- Serve hot.