Recipe type: Breakfast
Kanchipuramidli is a traditional recipe that hails from vaishnavite homes in the little town of kanchipuram in interior tamilnadu. A traditional temple offering, it has become popular all over the world today due to its mild but appetising spiciness.
- 1 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 cup raw rice (chawal)
- 1 tbsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- ¾ cup sour curds (khatta dahi)
- 8 cashewnuts (kaju)
- 4 green chillies , chopped
- ½ coconut , grated
- 1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 3 to 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- salt to taste
- oil for greasing
- Wash and soak the urad dal and rice together for at least 4 hours.
- Soak the chana dal separately.
- Grind the urad dal and rice to a coarse paste using enough water.
- Allow it to ferment in a warm place for at least 6 to 8 hours.
- Add the curds, cashewnuts, green chillies, coconut, ginger, pepper powder, curry leaves, ghee, salt and the soaked chana dal and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with chutney.