Kashmiri Roti ( Diabetic Recipe)
Recipe type: Breakfast
Everyone’s a great cook when it comes to making these simple rotis. Whole-wheat flour rotis with the essence of Indian spices cooked in just ¼ tsp of oil per roti to please the palate of a diabetic who has to abstain from relishing those sumptuous delicacies at his favourite restaurant.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 8 to 10 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ cup low-fat milk , 99.7% fat-free
- salt to taste
- whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- 1½ tsp oil for cooking
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), combine the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, carom seeds and peppercorns on it and lightly roast them. Cool slightly and blend them in a mortar-pestle (khalbhatta) to a coarse powder.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, prepared powder, asafoetida, milk and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water. Knead well.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a circle of 150 mm. (6") diameter using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (gridle) and cook each roti using ¼ tsp of oil, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve immediately.