Nutritious Garlic Naans
Recipe type: Breakfast
Try these whole wheat flour naans and believe me you will never again be tempted to eat unhealthy plain flour (maida) naans which we have all been eating. Garlic due to its dominant flavour is usually omitted in many dishes but when combined with soya and wheat flour, it is transformed into a delicacy. This aromatic herb has many medicinal values, one of them being to lower the blood cholesterol levels in your body. Soya, the other ingredient used in these naans is the prime source of protein and vitamin B12 in a vegetarian diet.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- ¼ cup soya flour
- ¼ cup low fat curds (dahi)
- ⅛ tsp soda bi-carb
- 1 tbsp garlic (lehsun), finely chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Knead well (approx. 4 to 5 minutes).
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and leave aside for 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll out each portion into a circle of 100 mm. (4") diameter.
- Grease the insides of a pressure cooker very lightly with oil. Remove the lid of the pressure cooker and heat it upside down over an open flame.
- Apply a little water on one side of each naan and stick the wet side of the naan around the inside of the pressure cooker.
- Cook till brown spots appear and the naan peels away easily from the sides of the pressure cooker. You can stick 3 to 4 naans at a time on the inside of the pressure cooker.
- Serve hot.