palak khichdi recipe
Recipe type: Breakfast
palak khichdi recipe – a sumptuous and nutritious khichdi made with mung lentils, rice, spinach and peanuts.
- 2 cups chopped palak/spinach
- ¼ or ⅓ cup raw peanuts
- ½ cup moong dal/yellow mung lentils
- ½ cup long grained rice or basmati rice
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 1 medium size potato, chopped
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- ½ tsp caraway seeds/shah jeera or cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ inch ginger + 3-4 garlic, crushed in a mortar-pestle to a paste or 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli/hari mirch, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing * check notes
- salt as required
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- pick and rinse both the rice and moong dal together. soak them together in enough water for about 30 mins.
- rinse the palak or spinach leaves well. chop them and then in a mixer or blender, make a smooth puree of the spinach adding very little water. keep the spinach puree aside.
- heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker. add the caraway seeds or cumin seeds, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and cardamoms.
- fry the whole spices for some seconds till they become fragrant. add the finely chopped onion and saute till they become golden.
- add the ginger-garlic paste and the chopped green chilies. saute for about 15-20 seconds or till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- then add the chopped tomatoes and saute till they begin to soften.
- add the turmeric powder and asafoetida and stir well.
- now add the peanuts, potatoes and saute for about 2 minutes.
- add the spinach puree and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
- strain the rice and moong dal and add them to the spinach mixture. stir well.
- pour 3.5 to 4 cups water. add salt and stir well.
- check the taste and if required add some more salt. pressure cook on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. check the consistency of the khichdi.
- if the khichdi looks thick, then you can add some hot water and simmer for a few minutes.
- remember to stir often as otherwise the khichdi gets stuck at the bottom. if the khichdi appears thin, then simmer till you get the desired consistency.
- while serving, pour the palak khichdi in bowls or plates and top with ½ to 1 tsp of ghee.
- serve the palak khichdi hot with plain curd/yogurt or raita or a simple vegetable salad.
skip the asafoetida for a gluten free version of this khichdi.