Sabudana Khichdi – Spiced Tapioca (Sago)
Recipe type: Breakfast
Sabudana Khichdi is a popular dish from Maharastra, India. Made from tapioca (sago), this sabudana khichdi recipe is a wonderful blend of flavors — sweet, tangy, spicy, balanced to perfection. It makes a mouth watering brunch or lunch item and is often enjoyed during times of fasting.
- Sabudana (Tapioca/Sago) – 2 cups, (washed and drained)
- Water – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Lime Juice – 3 to 4 Tbsp (to taste)
- Sugar – 2 to 3 tsp (to taste)
- Powdered Roasted Peanuts – 1 cup or to taste
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Green Chillies – to taste, finely chopped
- Whole Peanuts – 2 Tbsp
- Potato – 1 med, peeled and chopped in thin pieces.
- Shredded Coconut – ⅓ – ½ cup
- Cilantro Leaves – 10 sprigs (leaves only)
- Wash, drain and soak Sabudana in ½ cup of water (covered) for minimum 2 hrs or up to 8 hrs. Toss with a spoon occasionally.
- Mix Salt, Sugar, Lime Juice and Powdered Peanuts into the soaked sabudana.
- Heat Oil and Ghee in a medium non-stick pan.
- Add Cumin Seeds and let them splutter.
- Add chopped Green Chilies and Whole Peanuts. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chopped Potatoes and Salt. Cook uncovered until potatoes are tender.
- Add sabudana mixture to the potatoes and mix well.
- Set stove to low, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes. Check and adjust Salt, Lime Juice and Sugar.
- Add Shredded Coconut and chopped Cilantro Leaves and mix.
- Keep stirring every 1-2 minutes and re-covering the pan. Sprinkle a little water if the sabudana look like they are drying out.
- Total cooking time will be approx 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.