Snake Gourd Dosa - Potlakaya Dosa
Recipe type: Breakfast
This is a very quick dosa prepared with snake gourd and the batter doesn’t need any fermentation. Snake gourd is ground into paste and mixed with rice flour for dosa batter. The snake gourd dosa batter is then poured onto hot pan and roasted till dosa crisps up. Serve snake gourd dosa with any chutney or with sambar.
- Snake Gourd 5 – 6 inch Long Piece
- Rice Flour ¼ Cup
- Sooji 1 Tbsp (optional)
- Cumin Seeds ¼ tsp
- Green Chiles 1 – 2
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil as Required
- Remove ends, wash, discard seeds and roughly chop snake gourd.
- Remove stems, wash and roughly chop the green chiles.
- Wash and finely chop cilantro leaves.
- Grind snake gourd and green chiles into smooth paste adding enough water.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together rice flour, sooji (if using), ground snake gourd green chile paste, cumin seeds, chopped cilantro and salt.
- Add enough water to make it somewhat thin batter.
- Heat a flat pan on medium high heat, apply few drops of oil with back of a spoon.
- When pan gets hot, pour a ladle full of snake gourd dosa batter on pan in circular motions.
- Make sure batter is thin enough that it makes small holes when batter hits the hot pan.
- Try to fill up any big holes and form into around 5 inch diameter dosa.
- Don’t spread the dosa with back of the ladle.
- Fry on low – medium flame till bottom side starts to turn golden brown.
- Pour few drops of oil around the dosa and turn on other side.
- Reduce the heat a bit and cook on this side for around a minute before removing from heat.
- Repeat the same with remaining snake gourd dosa batter.
- Serve snake gourd dosa with sambar or with any chutney of your choice.
Make sure snake gourd dosa is cooked well and turned brown before turning on other side. Suggestions: If the dosa doesn’t come out of the pan, make sure dosa batter is not too thin. If dosa comes thick, make sure batter is not too thick, and adjust the batter accordingly with water. Variations: You can also add finely chopped onion or chopped nuts like cashews to the batter.