Soya and Cauliflower Parathas
Recipe type: Breakfast
Texture is as important to a dish as flavour itself and that is precisely what makes this dish so exceptional! Soya and cauliflower combine really well in the stuffing as the soaked soya granules and grated cauliflower have similar a texture. Mint and coriander further add their unique flavours, making this dish a winner in the flavour aspect as well! Not to forget that soya flour and granules add iron, calcium and protein, making these Parathas a nutritious treat. I've used less oil in this recipe; so this delicious treat is low-cal as well! These Parathas don't even require a side-dish, but can be served with a subzi and curds for added value!
- 1 recipe Soya Based Basic Dough
- For the stuffing
- 1 tsp soya oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ cup grated cauliflower
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ cup soaked soya granules
- salt to taste
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped mint leaves (phudina)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Other ingredients
- whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- 1½ tsp soya oil for cooking
- For the stuffing
- Heat the soya oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cauliflower and sauté for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously. Sprinkle a little water if required.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, soya granules and salt and mix well. Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- When cool, add the mint and coriander and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll out one portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3") diameter circle using a little flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre and fold the edges of the dough over the stuffing.
- Pinch the edges together to seal the stuffing and remove the excess dough.
- Flatten the dough and roll out again into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle.
- Cook the paratha on a non-stick tava (griddle) over a medium flame using ¼ teaspoon soya oil till both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 5 more parathas.
- Serve hot.