Recipe type: Breakfast
Spinach Paratha is a perfect way to enjoy the goodness of spinach. This Indian recipe for unleavened flat bread is a little different from the traditional stuffed version of paratha. The kids will love the fun presentation and they won’t even have to know they’re eating a leafy green vegetable!
- Chapati Flour – 1½ cups
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Frozen Spinach – ½ cup (washed)
- Plain Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Garlic – 2 large cloves
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chili Powder – ¼ tsp or to taste
- Oil – for cooking
- Water – as necessary (lukewarm)
- In a medium bowl, add Flour and Oil and mix until oil is well incorporated into the flour. Keep aside.
- In a blender, add remaining ingredients except Oil for cooking and additional water. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Add Spinach mixture to Flour and form a medium firm dough. It may be necessary to add a little additional water.
- Form dough into a ball and rub a few drops of oil on it to prevent drying.
- Cover and keep for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat Tava or skillet on medium heat.
- Knead dough once and divide into golf ball size portions.
- Roll one portion into a smooth ball and flatten it out into your palms.
- Dip into dry flour to prevent it from sticking to surface while rolling.
- Roll dough out into a 5-6 inch disc.
- Smear oil onto half of the disc and sprinkle a pinch of dry flour onto it.
- Fold disc into a semi-circle.
- Smear oil onto ½ of the semi-circle and sprinkle dry flour onto it.
- Fold semi-circle into half to form a triangle. Dip into dry flour once more.
- Roll triangle out into paratha. You can choose to keep the triangle shape or roll it into a round shape.
- Place paratha onto your skillet or tava. Wait until bubbles appear before flipping it over.
- Wait another 20-30 seconds, lightly smear oil onto the top and flip over.
- Press gently with a spatula to make the paratha balloon up.
- Lightly smear oil on this side and flip again. Press again to cook paratha until all uncooked areas look cooked.
- Place cooked paratha in an insulated container and repeat process for remaining parathas.
- Serve hot with subzi, curry, yogurt, pickle or butter.