Vegetable Rava Idly With Coconut Chutney
Recipe type: Breakfast
Vegetable rava idly,field trips and picnics become exciting with these instant mix veg rava idlis. Packed with coconut chutney in a single tiffin with two compartments, this is a wholesome snack loaded with nutrients.
- For The Coconut Chutney
- (makes 1 cup)
- 4 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 4 tbsp roasted chana dal (daria)
- 3 green chillies , roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tbsp fresh curds (dahi)
- salt to taste
- For The Tempering
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 3 to 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 small whole dry kashmiri red chilli ,
- broken into pieces
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- For The Vegetable Semolina Idly:
- 2½ cups semolina (rava)
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup chopped sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ tsp green chilly paste
- 4 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tbsp fruit salt
- ¼ tsp oil for greasing
- Combine the coconut, roasted chana dal, green chillies, ginger, coriander, curry leaves, curds, salt and 2 tbsp of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, red chillies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Pour this tempering over the coconut mixture and mix well. Keep aside.
- For the veg rawa idly:
- Combine the semolina, carrots, corn, french beans, buttermilk, 2 tbsp of oil and salt in a bowl. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small pan and add the urad dal, chana dal and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the coconut, green chilli paste and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the semolina batter and mix well.
- Add the fruit salt and sprinkle a little water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently and pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idly moulds.
- Steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes.