Coconut Rice – Thengai Sadam
Recipe type: Appetiser
There are so many ways to flavor rice and today we’re featuring coconut! This Coconut Rice recipe (Thengai Sadam in Tamil) can be made with fresh rice or is a perfect way to use of leftover rice. Give yourself a break after the big holiday weekend and make simple, delicious Coconut Rice!
- Rice – 1 cup cooked with 2 cups water and ½ tsp salt
- Coconut Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Chana Daal – 1 Tbsp
- Cashews – ¼ cup, whole or broken
- Urad Daal – 1 Tbsp
- Dry Red Chilies – to taste, broken
- Asafoetida – ⅛ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Fresh Coconut – ½ cup, finely shredded
- If making fresh rice, spread out rice on a plate immediately after cooking to prevent clumping.
- Heat Coconut Oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add Chana Daal and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add Cashews and cook until they turn a light golden color.
- Add Urad Daal, Dry Red Chilies, Curry Leaves and Asafoetida. Mix.
- Add Coconut and cook until it changes to light golden color.
- Add cooked rice and toss until well coated and heated through.
- Serve hot with yogurt or pickle.