Recipe type: easy recipes spl
Whip up dinner in a flash with this tasty Nasi goreng.
- 400g (2 cups) long-grain white rice
- 1 tbs vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 (about 275g) chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 175g pkt shortcut bacon (Primo brand), thinly sliced crossways
- 5 eschalots (French shallots), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, trimmed, finely diced
- 200g small cooked peeled prawns
- 40g (3/4 cup) loosely packed finely shredded Chinese cabbage
- 80g bean sprouts
- 2 tbs bought fried shallots (Maesri brand)
- 2 tbs kecap manis
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 4 eggs
- Cook rice in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet absorption instructions until tender. Drain. Spread over 2 baking trays, in a thin layer, and set aside for 2 hours to cool completely.
- Heat a large wok over medium heat. Add half the oil and heat until just smoking. Add half the chicken and stir-fry, for 3 minutes or until brown and just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining chicken. Add the bacon to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until brown and crisp. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add remaining oil to wok and heat until just smoking. Add the eschalots and garlic, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until eschalots are soft. Add the carrot and celery, and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until carrot is tender. Add the prawns and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Return cooked chicken and bacon to the wok with cabbage, and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until cabbage wilts. Add cooled rice, bean sprouts, half the fried shallots, the kecap manis and soy sauce. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Crack 2 eggs into the pan and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until the white sets and the yolk is almost set (for a soft yolk) or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining eggs.
- Spoon nasi goreng into shallow serving bowls. Top each with a fried egg and sprinkle over remaining fried shallots. Serve immediately.
Kecap manis is a thick, sweet sauce made from soya beans and is available from most supermarkets. The cooked rice for this dish needs to be cold before stir-frying otherwise its texture will change.