parsi brown rice recipe
Recipe type: easy recipes spl
parsi brown rice – aromatic, golden with a faint sweet tinge is this rice dish made with basmati rice, whole spices, sugar and onions
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 or 2 inch cinnamon
- 4-5 green cardamoms
- 4-5 cloves
- 4-5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1.5 to 2 tsp regular sugar or 3 tsp organic unrefined cane sugar
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 3.5 to 4 cups water
- salt as required
- soak the basmati rice in enough water for 30 mins.
- after 30 mins, drain the rice and keep aside.
- heat oil or ghee in a thick bottomed pot.
- add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and black pepper.
- fry till they get fragrant.
- add the sliced onions.
- stir and fry the onions till they get translucent and are softened.
- now add sugar and stir.
- continue frying the onions till they caramelize or get browned.
- the sugar will also caramelize.
- keep on stirring in between to ensure even browning.
- when the onions have got browned, quickly remove some onions for garnishing. they will have sweet taste and will be a little sticky due to the caramelization of sugar.
- add the rice and gently stir.
- pour 4 cups water.
- add salt and stir.
- cover tightly and let the rice cook till done and all the water is absorbed.
- check once or twice when the rice is cooking.
- if the water is all absorbed and the rice is not cooked completely, then add a few tbsps of water.
- don’t stir as you don’t want to break the rice grains.
- cover and cook the rice for 2-3 minutes more.
- serve parsi brown rice garnished with the fried onions with veg dhansak, patio or parsi dal.