Undrallu For Ganesh Chaturthi
Recipe type: Festival Special
Sweet Undrallu, kudumulu recipe which is prepared in Andhra and Tamilnadu.This is a must for this Ganesh Chathurthi festival.Plain undrallu with the left over dough of rice flour(outer covering) mainly prepared for Ganesh Chaturthi along with biyyapu rava undrallu to offer to Lord Ganesha.Now to the recipe directly.
- ½ cup Rice flour *
- ⅓ cup Water**
- ½ cup - 2 tbsp grated Jaggery(slightly less than ½ cup)
- 2-3 tbsp grated fresh/dry Coconut
- 2 Cardamoms,seeded and powdered
- 1 tsp ghee
- Boil water in a vessel/pan and add grated jaggery and let it melt completely.Boil it for 1-2 mins.
- Add cardamom powder,grated coconut,rice flour and give a stir.In this process you add rice flour slowly and keep mixing and make sure that it should be slightly soft mixture(softer than chapati dough).Some times the rice flour variety matters and they absorb more water.So use your judgement and stop adding rice flour further once you get the soft consistency.Switch off the flame and cover it and keep aside for 5 mins.
- Grease your palms and make tiny balls or like discs of coin size.
- Arrange them in a greased steamer plate and pour a tsp of ghee all over them and steam for 10-12 mins.This will give a nice shiny look to them.
- Serve them hot/warm .It is best to eat them hot or warm.
- *Use rice flour which is washed,dried in shade and finely powdered variety for better results.
- **Some times the rice flour variety matters and they absorb more water.So use your judgement and stop adding rice flour further to the pan once you get the soft consistency.If you have added more rice flour by mistake and the mixture is very hard,add some hot water to get a soft consistency of dough.If your mixture is hard,they will become very hard after they are steamed.Hence it is very important to make a soft dough for this.
It is important to make a soft dough of rice flour-jaggery mixture otherwise those balls will turn out quite hard after it is steamed.So stop adding rice flour to the jaggery mixture once teh desired consistency is achieved. You can strain the jaggery once it is dissolved in water to remove impurities.