Andhra Chicken Kurma
Recipe type: Curries
Chicken kurma is famous chicken gravy which is a very good combination for steamed rice or roti and even with any pulao or biriyani.
- chicken - 1 kg
- coconut - 1
- poppy seeds - 2 tbsp
- chilli powder - 2 tsp or to taste
- salt - to taste
- turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- tomato - 1, chopped
- onion - 1, chopped finely
- curry leaves - few
- cloves - 2
- cardamoms - 2
- cinnamon - 2 pieces
- oil - 2 tbsp
- corriander powder - 1 tsp
- ginger - 2.5 cm
- garlic - 8-10 flakes
- corriander leaves - ½ cup
- Clean and joint the chicken. Extract 1 cup of thick coconut milk and 2 cups of thin coconut milk.
- Grind poppy seeds to a paste. Grind ginger, garlic and corriander leaves together.
- Cook chicken with thin coconut milk, salt, turmeric, chilli powder, and green paste.
- When ½ done, add poppy seed paste, dhania powder and tomato. Simmer till chicken is cooked.
- Heat oil in another pan, add clove, cardamom, cinnamon, onion and curry leaves.
- When onion is light brown add the cooked chicken. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the thick coconut milk. Just as it begins to boil, remove from fire. Packaged coconut milk can be used.
- Mix 1 cup of it with 1 cup of water and use to cook the chicken.
- Add 1 cup undiluted at the end. 1 Tbsps of ginger-garlic paste can be used instead of garlic and ginger.