Arroz con pollo
Recipe type: Curries
Take your tastebuds on a culinary trip to Spain with this easy aromatic rice and chicken dish.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 (about 600g) chicken thigh fillets, halved crossways
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground sweet paprika
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 150g (3/4 cup) long-grain white rice
- 1 x 400g can diced Italian Roma tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 200g fire-roasted peeled whole peppers (Always Fresh brand), coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until onion softens. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until brown all over. Add the cumin, paprika and saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the rice, tomatoes and chicken stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until chicken and rice are tender.
- Add the tomato paste, peppers and parsley, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Divide the arroz con pollo among serving bowls and serve immediately.