Chicken, potato and spinach curry
Recipe type: Curries
This spicy chicken curry recipe contains half of your recommended daily vegetable intake.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, halved, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g jar Patak's Tikka Masala simmer sauce
- 400g chat potatoes, halved
- 120g baby spinach leaves
- Plain yoghurt and warmed naan bread, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add cinnamon, cardamom and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Return chicken to pan. Add simmer sauce and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potato is tender. Stir in spinach. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted.
- Serve curry with yoghurt and naan bread.
Patak's Tikka Masala is a creamy, tomato-based simmer sauce lightly spiced with hints of coriander and lemon.