Fish in coconut milk
Recipe type: Curries
Packed with spices, this fish curry in coconut milk makes a simple yet satisfying mid-week meal.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 long green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 800g firm white fish fillets, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- coriander leaves, to serve
- steamed basmati rice and pappadums, to serve
- Heat ghee or oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Add coriander, turmeric, chilli, garlic and curry leaves. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until reduced slightly. Add fish. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until fish is just cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top with coriander leaves and serve with steamed basmati rice and pappadums.
Replace fish with 800g green prawns, peeled, leaving tails intact. Shortcut: Replace coriander, turmeric, chilli, garlic and curry leaves with ⅓ cup mild curry paste and cook following steps 1 to 3 above.