Recipe type: Curries
Chicken cooked with pureed spinach and spices. A refreshingly nutritious preparation.
- 500 grams spinach
- 6 green chillies chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick(s) of 1" each
- 2 onion(s) chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) each of ginger, garlic pastes
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 8 medium sized pieces (about 500 grams) of chicken
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons thick yoghurt whisked
- 1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
- Cook the spinach leaves (discard hard stems) in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water. Puree in a blender with the green chillies.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry the bay leaves, cardamoms and cinnamon for a few seconds till aromatic. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minute(s) or till they are lightly browned.
- Add the ginger-garlic pastes and fry for about 2 minute(s).
- Add the tomatoes and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and sprinkle salt to taste. Mix well. Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach puree. Cook on low heat for about 8 minutes or till the chicken is tender.
- Stir in the yoghurt and the hot spice mix (garam masala). Simmer for about 3 minutes.
A handful of fresh fenugreek leaves (methi) used along with the spinach makes this dish very flavorful. Serve hot with: Green Peas Rice (Matar Pulav), steamed rice or Indian bread (Roti).