Barbequed mushroom and pumpkin salad
Recipe type: salads
This vegan pumpkin salad is full of healthy vegetables and tantalising spices.
- 1kg pumpkin, cut into 1cm-thick wedges
- 6 flat mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 160g baby spinach leaves
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Place ½ the pumpkin in a single layer onto a microwave safe plate. Cover and microwave on High for 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining pumpkin. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place mushrooms in a shallow dish. Combine ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil, brown sugar, cumin and salt and pepper in a screw-top jar and shake well to combine. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms, toss well. Cover and set aside 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a screw-top jar, shake well to combine.
- Preheat a barbeque plate on a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, tossing frequently, for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the pumpkin and cook 2-3 minutes each side. Arrange the spinach, mushrooms and pumpkin onto serving plate. Drizzle dressing. Serve with bread.