Amla pickle recipe or Amla achaar recipe
Recipe type: Pickles
amla pickle - easy to prepare amla or indian gooseberry pickle.
- main ingredients:
- 400 gms amla or gooseberry (small or bigger)
- ¼ cup red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ cup rock salt/sendha namak or add as required
- for tempering:
- ½ cup + 3 tbsp sesame oil (indian one and not the east asian one)/til ka tel
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds/methi ke dane
- 1 tsp asafoetida/hing
- first rinse the amla in water. dry them with a kitchen napkin. there should be no trace of moisture.
- if small amla, keep whole, since seeds are very small.
- if big sized, then chop and remove the seeds. discard the seeds.
- take the amla in a large bowl.
- add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and rock salt. mix very well.
- in another pan, heat the sesame oil first.
- then add the mustard seeds & fenugreek seeds and allow them to splutter.
- then add the asafoetida. stir and switch off the flame.
- let the oil cool completely and then pour it over the amla marinated with the spices. mix very well.
- spoon the pickle in a sterilized jar.
- close tightly with a lid and keep the pickle in a dry corner of your kitchen for 7 days.
- after every 2 to 3 days, give the pickle bottle or jar a good shake or a stir with a clean dry spoon.
- the amla pickle will be ready after 7 days.
- once the amla pickle is ready, keep in the fridge or at room temperature.
- in cold climates, you can keep outside. in a hot and humid climate, keep in the fridge. serve amla pickle with any indian meal of your choice.