Khatti Palak Chutney
Recipe type: chutney
Pachadis or chutney gives a euphoric feeling to many mainly for their spicy and tangy flavour. Khatti Palak chutney is yet one more excellent chutney made with Chukka kura also commonly known as Khatta palak, ambat chukka etc, which is a sour leafy green and is tangy to taste when cooked. The vibrant coloured greens added to spices with a garlicy flavour and tempering of curry leaves balances the tartness of the greens. Khatti Palak chutney can be savoured with hot rice, a generous helping of ghee (clarified butter) and raw onion.
- Onion, Sliced 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic 4-5 Clove
- Green Chillies 3-4 Numbers
- Chukka Koora, Leaves & Tender Stems 2 Cup
- Salt To Taste
- Oil For Tempering 5 ml
- For tempering – Dry red chillies - 3-4 nos Mustard seeds - 1 tsp Cumin - ½ tsp Channa dal - 1 tbsp Urad dal - 1 tbsp Hing (asafoetida), optional - a pinch Method: In a pan add little oil and when it gets hot, add few cloves of garlic, green chillies, few onion slices and sauté until the onions become transparent, salt, add greens with tender stems. Cook till the leaves get mashy and soft. Remove and grind to a paste.
- Add little oil in the pan for tempering, when oil gets hot; add red chilli and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add cumin, channa dal, urad dal and fry untilbrowned. Add curry leaves and switch off the flame. Add the ground chutney into the pan and mix well.
- Serve with hot rice or puliyodarai.