Recipe type: Breakfast
For a traditional Welsh afternoon tea, bake then devour this sweet, spicy loaf brimming with sultanas and mixed peel.
- 250ml (1 cup) milk, warmed
- 1 tbs (12g/2 sachets) dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 450g (3 cups) bread flour
- 80g (1/2 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 170g (1 cup) sultanas
- 50g (1/4 cup) mixed peel
- 375ml (1½ cups) freshly brewed Earl Grey tea
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tbs honey, warmed
- Butter, to serve
- Honey, extra, to serve
- Combine milk, yeast and caster sugar in a bowl. Set aside in a warm draught-free place for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine flour, brown sugar and mixed spice in a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until combined, then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, combine the sultanas and mixed peel in a medium bowl. Pour over the tea. Set aside for 1 hour to soak. Drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- Spray a 22 x 11cm (base measurement) loaf pan with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 long sides with baking paper. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Use your hands to shape the dough into a 25cm square. Sprinkle with the sultana mixture. Fold the sides of the dough over the sultana mixture and gently knead for 5 minutes or until combined. Transfer to prepared pan. Cover loosely with a tea towel. Set aside in a warm draught-free place to prove for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Bake on top shelf in oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 160°C. Transfer the loaf to the lowest shelf. Bake for a further 1 hour or until the loaf sounds hollow when turned out and tapped on the base. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack. Brush with the honey. Set aside to cool completely. Cut into slices. Serve with butter and extra honey.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days