Beetroot Cucumber and Tomato Raita
Recipe type: Breakfast
A raita that is very unusual and very tasty. . . Serve it chilled to enjoy it. . . .
- ¼ cup boiled , peeled and chopped beetroot
- ½ chopped cucumber
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1½ cups whisked fresh curds (dahi)
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped peanuts
- ¼ cup freshly grated coconut
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, curds, salt, sugar and green chilies in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 15 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the raita and mix well.
- Add the peanuts, coconut and coriander and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serve chilled.