Buckwheat Dhoklas ( Cooking with 1 Tsp Oil Recipe)
Recipe type: Breakfast
This combination of buckwheat, sanwa millet and curds makes an interesting recipe which is best enjoyed when served piping hot with a spoonful of low calorie green chutney. I've selected buckwheat as it abounds in fibre that will keep you satiated for a longer time and will prevent you from munching on calorie-laden snacks. Curds give a smooth creamy texture to the dhokla batter while enriching it with calcium which is necessary for healthy and strong bones. You can also have these dhoklas when you're on a religious fast as both these ingredients can be consumed during fasts.
- 1 cup buckwheat (kutto or kutti no daro)
- 2 tbsp sanwa millet (sama)
- ¾ cup fresh low fat curds (dahi)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1 tsp oil
- a pinch of baking soda
- salt to taste
- Other Ingredients
- oil for greasing
- For The Garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Wash and drain the buckwheat. Add the curds and sanwa millet and mix well. Allow to soak for at least 3 hours.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, oil, soda bi-carb and salt and mix well.
- Pour the batter into a 200 mm. (8") diameter greased thali.
- Steam for 12 to 15 minutes till the dhoklas are firm.
- Cool slightly and cut into diamond shaped pieces.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.