Recipe type: Breakfast
Poha makes a convenient and nourishing breakfast option. Replace potatoes with sweet corn to give your poha a new twist and top with a range of crunchy and colourful toppings
- ½ cup boiled sweet corn kernels (makai ke dane)
- 1½ cups thick beaten rice (poha)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 2 tbsp milk
- For The Topping
- ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup sev
- lemon wedge
- Clean, wash and drain the beaten rice and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the sweet corn and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the beaten rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the turmeric powder, sugar, salt, green chilli paste, lemon juice and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Serve hot topped with tomatoes, onions, sev and a lemon wedge.